May 2, 2022
Summer is finally here—it’s time to pack your bags and hit the road for a fun vacation! But whether you’re planning on visiting theme parks, touring cities, or relaxing on sand-swept beaches, there are still a few other things you need to keep in mind this summer: one of which is your oral health! Dental emergencies can happen any time and any place and being prepared for one and knowing how to handle it can ensure that your smile isn’t jeopardized. Keep reading to learn more about dealing with dental emergencies during summer vacation.
Preparation Is Key
When it comes to handling dental emergencies, simply preventing them from happening in the first place, as well as being prepared for one, is your best bet. Consider the following:
- Pack an emergency kit – It’s never a bad idea to have an emergency kit ready to go in the event of an injury. This doesn’t have to be anything expensive or fancy, but should include items like gauze, over-the-counter pain relievers, dental wax, and a small container for displaced teeth.
- Research local dentists – If you’re able to find a dentist in your destination prior to arriving there, you already know exactly where to go in the event of a dental emergency.
- Visit your dentist beforehand – It never hurts to schedule a checkup before setting off on your travels. Your dentist can easily identify and address any problems that could progress during your vacation.
- Practice good oral hygiene – Whether you’re at home or in a hotel, you should regularly brush and floss your teeth. A healthy mouth is less likely to experience any problems!
Common Dental Emergencies During the Summertime
There are a lot of things out there that can damage your mouth. Some of the most common dental emergencies that people experience during the summertime include:
- Toothaches and increased sensitivity.
- Chipped, cracked, or fractured teeth.
- Displaced teeth.
While these injuries typically involve physical trauma or contact, it’s important to note that there are other dental emergencies that can develop even without physical trauma. Things like poor oral care can translate into gum disease and other serious concerns that lead to emergencies!
What To Do If You’ve Suffered a Dental Emergency
Even with careful and meticulous preparation, dental emergencies can still occur when you least expect them to, and they’ll certainly derail your fun! When it happens, it is important that you jump into action without delay—inaction will only lead to additional problems and complications.
If you have travel insurance, you can get in contact with a local dentist who will be able to treat you. Depending on the nature of the emergency, it might also be easier to simply locate the nearest emergency room. Of course, you should still get in contact with your dentist back home and inform them of the situation, so they can take over once you’ve returned.
There is no opportune time for dental emergencies; often, they happen when it’s least convenient! However, by knowing what to do and who to contact when it does happen, you’re setting yourself up for the best possible outcome.
About the Practice
Dental Expressions serves the needs of patients and families in the Freedom area under the leadership of Dr. Robert Heil and Dr. Heather Heil, who both have several years of experience and expertise in many areas of dentistry! Their practice is proud to offer many different services including emergency dentistry. If you or a loved one is suffering from a dental emergency, don’t hesitate to schedule a visit. You can contact the practice online or by phone: (920) 788-6280.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.